This Sausage and Broccoli Casserole recipe is such a comforting dinner idea! This broccoli rice casserole recipe is great for potlucks, holidays or dinner at home!
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (can also substitute dried thyme or other dried herbs like basil & oregano)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, chopped fresh broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- 2 (10 ounce) bags frozen brown rice
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the sausage to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage, breaking up as it cooks. Once the sausage has browned, remove it from the skillet and add to a large bowl, leaving any drippings in the pan.
- Add the butter to the skillet. Once the butter is melted, add mushrooms and onions, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until the mushrooms have browned and the onions have softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer, then sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions. Stir to combine the flour completely, cooking for about 1 minute.
- Pour the wine into the skillet mixing into the mushrooms and onions, then let the wine reduce for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream and stir. Let the sauce come to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the chopped broccoli, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and the frozen rice to the bowl with the sausage. Pour in the sauce from the skillet and stir to combine the ingredients together.
- Pour into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from oven, take off the foil and top with remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and the panko bread crumbs.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or you can place the casserole under your broiler for 5 minutes for an extra crispy topping!
- Category: DInner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: casserole recipe, broccoli casserole, broccoli rice casserole, potluck recipes, dinner ideas, thanksgiving side dish, thanksgiving casserole, easy broccoli casserole, best broccoli casserole