This super creamy, fresh tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food recipe! We love serving this tomato soup with lots of crusty bread or soup crackers for dipping!
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes (we used plum tomatoes but any fresh tomato will work)
- Olive oil, salt and black pepper for seasoning the tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup loose packed fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Quarter the tomatoes, depending on the size that you’re using, and let them on a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes for 35-40 minutes until shriveled and caramelized.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of oil to a dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onions, salt and pepper and cook while stirring for 7-8 minutes until the onions have softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and chicken broth. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes then blend the soup with a stick blender. (*See note)
- Pour in the cream, stir and taste for seasonings. Add a little more slat and pepper if needed and a pinch of sugar depending on how sweet the tomatoes were before roasting.
- Serve the soup with more fresh basil, parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper.
We like using a stick blender for this to make it really easy, but if you don’t have one you can let the soup cool and then transfer to a blender or food processor.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tomato soup recipe, roasted tomatoes, tomato basil soup, tomato cream soup, soup recipe, easy dinner ideas, dinner recipes, vegetarian recipes