These meat and spinach filled stuffed shells remind me of my Italian Grandmother!
- 16 ounce box jumbo pasta shells
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix (pork, beef and veal combined)
- 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (part-skim or regular)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Cook the shells according to package directions and drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meat to brown, crumbling as it cooks. Drain any drippings from the pan.
- Add the spinach, salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder and dried basil. Transfer the meat filling to a large bowl and then stir in the ricotta and parmesan cheese.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add about a cup of sauce to the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Stuff the cooked pasta shells with the beef filling and add in an even layer to the baking dish.
- Pour more sauce over the top to cover the shells and then top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered with aluminum foil, then remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
If your shells don’t all fit into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, grab another 8″ x 8″ baking dish for the rest.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta recipe, stuffed shells, dinner recipes, ground beef recipes