Filled with tart raspberry and sweet apricot jelly, tender Polish Cream Cheese Cookies taste like little bites of pure joy. Rolls of buttery, slightly tangy dough wrap around bright apricot and raspberry preserves for the ideal balance of texture and flavor.
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 3/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jelly
- 1/2 cup apricot jelly
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Coarse sanding sugar for topping
- Add the cream cheese, butter and sugar to a large bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer on low and beat in the flour and salt until just combined. Divide the dough in half and flatten into 2 rounds, then cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured board until the dough is approximately 1/8″ thick. trim the edges to make a square and then cut out 2 1/2 inch squares with a knife. You can gather the scrapes and roll out again to make more cookies.
- Place the squares on the board in a diamond shape with the points at the top and bottom. Fill with 1 teaspoon of jelly and fold the edges over the middle, using an egg wash to seal. Add coarse (sanding) sugar to the top and place on a baking sheet. Repeat until with the remaining dough, this recipe will make about 36 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully transfer the cookies to a baking rack to cool.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.
- To Store: Store at room temperature for up to 3 days in an airtight container with parchment or wax paper separating the layers.
- To Freeze: Lay out raw on a baking sheet in the freezer until solid, then move into an airtight container or a ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Bake straight from the freezer as you normally would, adding time if needed.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kolaczki, polish desserts, polish cookies