These crispy, fried rice balls have the most creamy center! Arborio rice and cheese mixed with mini pepperoni bits make the most amazing appetizer!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice
- dash of kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni minis (or regular pepperoni cut into smaller pieces)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs (plus and extra 1/2 cup extra for coating the arancini)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Add the chicken broth and a dash of salt to a medium pot and heat until simmering.
- Add the rice, stir and cover. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cooked rice out onto a baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper, spread out and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese to a large bowl. Add the eggs, parsley, breadcrumbs and salt and mix to combine.
- Add the cooled rice to the cheese mixture along with the mini pepperoni, stirring together until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Fill a heavy bottomed, deep pot halfway with oil. Heat over medium heat until the temperature reaches 350 degrees, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the extra 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl.
- While the oil is heating up, make 1 1/2 inch balls and coat them in the breadcrumbs. You should end up with about 36 rice balls. To make this easier you can use a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop.
- Once the oil is to temperature, carefully add a few rice balls at a time to fry. Doing this is batches is the best way to get an even fry and not bring the temperature of your oil down.
- Fry the arancini for 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown, remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all the arancini are fried.
- Garnish with extra chopped parsley and parmesan cheese and serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
To Keep Warm: You can keep these arancini in a 300 degree oven to keep warm while your frying, or until you’re ready to serve.
To Cook From Frozen: Place the frozen arancini in to a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes until the center is warm and cooked through.
To Reheat From Refrigerator: Place fried arancini in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice balls, arancini recipe, appetizers, pizza recipes, pepperoni, fried food