This easy, pasta dinner is a family favorite! Get your kids to eat their greens with this delicious, satisfying meal!
- 1 pound gemelli or other tube pasta such as rigatoni or penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 bunch broccolini or broccoli rabe
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the broccolini. Add about a tablespoon of salt to the water then add the broccolini and cook for 3-4 minutes until bright green and tender but still crisp.
- Remove the cooked broccolini with tongs and place in a colander. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and then return the pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Before draining the pasta, ladle out about 1/2 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta, do not rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a 13 or 14 inch skillet then add the sausage to brown. Break the sausage up with a wooden spoon until it’s browned cooked through.
- Drain some of the drippings from the pan if necessary, then add the salt, pepper, garlic and tomato paste.
- Pour in the beef broth and 1/4 cup of the pasta water and bring to a boil. Let the sauce reduce for 3 minutes, then add the cooked pasta and broccolini and toss to combine.
- Add the parmesan cheese and taste for seasonings. Add more salt and pepper and parmesan cheese if needed, and more pasta water if the pasta is too dry.
- Serve with crushed red pepper flakes and more parmesan cheese if desired.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta, pasta recipes, pasta with sausage, dinner recipes, dinner ideas