This Pasta with Ham and Peas is a simple, comforting pasta recipe that kids and adults love! Great way to use up leftover ham or just grab a ham steak from the store!
- 16 ounces large shell pasta or other short tube pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped (You can start with one, if you like, we love the fresh garlic flavor in this pasta recipe!)
- 1 pound cooked ham, diced
- 10 ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil to cook the pasta. Cook according to the package directions and drain. Spray the bottom of the pot with non-stick cooking spray and then pour the cooked pasta back into the pot and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften, then add the garlic and cook for one minute longer. Add the leftover ham and frozen peas and carrots to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes until the frozen vegetables are warmed through.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and stir to combine until the flour is completely mixed in with the ham and vegetables. Slowly pour in the cream, stirring as you go. Add the parmesan cheese, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes until thickened, then stir in the cream cheese until it’s completely melted into the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to combine. Serve with more parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper if desired.
Add pasta in small batches at first to make sure the sauce is the consistency you like. You might not need all of the pasta, so do this in batches!
When reheating this pasta recipe, you can add a splash of cream to make it more saucy, as the sauce tends to absorb into the pasta as it refrigerates.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, pasta dishes, leftover ham recipes, easy pasta recipes, leftover recipes, pasta with peas, pasta with ham, comfort food