This Pappardelle with Champagne Cream Sauce is perfect for the holidays! Serve this pappardelle as a first course or a side dish to your holiday meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup champagne or prosecco
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 17.6 ounce pappardelle pasta, dried or fresh
- Start a pot of water to boil for the pappardelle.
- Add the olive oil to a large, deep skillet or a wide dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomato paste and then the flour, cooking for 1-2 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the champagne. Whisk to prevent any lumps from forming and let the champagne reduce for 1 minute. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stir until smooth. Season the sauce with salt, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring often.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese into the sauce and then let simmer over low heat while you cook the pappardelle pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and then drain. Add the pasta right into the sauce, stirring gently to fold the pasta into the sauce. You might have a little more sauce than needed, but when serving, use tongs to pull the pappardelle out of the sauce and onto plates. Any remaining sauce in the skillet can be served on the side of saved.
- Serve with fresh torn or sliced basil on top and grated parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American / Italian
Keywords: mantitlement, pappardelle pasta, vegetarian recipes, vegetarian pasta recipe, champagne cream sauce, holiday recipes, christmas recipes, date night recipes, valentine's day recipes