This crunchy cheese bread is so easy to make – you can even make it ahead of time and freeze it for a quick appetizer or snack!
- 8 round slices of Italian sandwich bread (like a panella)
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 shallots, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the sliced bread onto a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- When the toast comes out of the oven, rub each slice with the garlic cloves and set aside. Turn the oven to broil.
- Add butter to a large skillet. Once the butter is melted add the mushrooms and shallots, stirring into the butter to coat. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms have released their juices and browned and the shallots have softened. Stir in the fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season the cheese mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture onto each slice of toast and then top with the mushrooms and shallots.
- Place the cheese bread into the oven under the broiler for 5 minutes. Watch carefully so the toast doesn’t burn as broilers are all different.
- Remove from the oven, slice in half or thirds, depending on how large your bread is, and garnish with more parmesan cheese and fresh thyme.
This cheese bread can be made, cooled and frozen for a quick appetizer or snack! Just place the frozen bread onto a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top / Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: appetizers, vegetarian recipes, cheese bread, cheese toast, mushroom recipes, cheesy bread