A hearty meat and cheese pasta recipe that’s perfect for Mardis Gras!
- 1 lb. cavatappi pasta
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/4 lb. mortadella, about a 1/2″ thick slice from the deli, diced
- 1/4 lb. pancetta, diced
- 1/4 lb. sopresatta, about a 1/2″ thick slice from the deli, diced
- 1/4 lb. salami, about a 1/2″ thick slice from the deli, diced
- 1 c. mixed olives, chopped
- 8 oz. small fresh mozzarella pearls, or you can use a fresh mozzarella ball and just dice it up
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced finely
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
- Fresh black pepper
- 1/4 c. shaved brussels sprouts (for garnish and a little crunch, I bought mine at Trader Joe’s but I’m sure most grocery stores will carry. But you can easily omit)
- Start a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Start the muffaletta sauce by placing all the diced meat in a large skillet with the olive oil. brown well, about 5 minutes over medium high heat, then place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Drain off all but 1 T. of the fat from the pan and then add the shallots. Add in the italian seasoning and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes before adding in the diced olives, cook for 3-4 minutes more. Add in the minced garlic, Cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken stock. Cook down for a minute then add the diced tomatoes. Let the sauce simmer for 15- 20 minutes At this point you can taste the sauce to see if it needs salt.
- Next, turn the heat down to low and put the cream into the sauce. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes, cover and let sit until your pasta is done.
- When the water comes to a boil for the pasta, add it in and cook for 8-10 minutes according to the package directions.
- Drain the pasta and place it back into the pot you cooked it in. Pour the muffaletta sauce over the pasta and add the mozzarella pearls. Stir well to combine and serve.
- Top with shredded brussels sprouts and parmesan cheese.
Make the sauce completely before adding any salt, the olives and the meat already give enough salt to the sauce, so only add more salt at the end if needed.
- Serving Size: 6
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pasta recipe, muffaletta, dinner ideas, party recipes, cavatappi pasta