These comforting hot gravy chicken sandwiches are perfect for using up leftover chicken or turkey!
- 2 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- 4 slices of thick-sliced white bread
- 8 slices of tomato
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped (reserving 3 T. of bacon grease from cooking)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Start by making the bacon gravy.
- Add the reserved bacon grease to a medium sized saucepan.
- When the bacon grease is hot, add the 3 T. of flour and whisk, cooking for 1 minute.
- Next slowly pour in the milk, whisking as you pour. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add in the chopped bacon, salt and pepper and stir. Cover and set aside.
- Toast the slices of bread, then layer on the shredded chicken, splitting between the four slices of bread.
- Top each slice of bread with 2 pieces of tomato, then spoon the bacon gravy on top.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of bread and place onto a baking sheet.
- Place under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until the top gets browned.
- Slice each open-faced sandwich in half diagonally and serve.
You can swap out the shredded chicken for turkey, or even use sliced turkey or chicken from the deli to make it even easier!
Also, you can thin out the gravy with a little more milk if it gets too thick.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kentucky hot brown, bacon recipes, leftover turkey recipes, leftover chicken recipes, sandwich recipes