Make these Italian Sloppy Joes for an easy dinner night or for your next party! Perfect for holidays or game days, and everything can be made ahead of time!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (we used red and green, but other colors can be swapped in)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 6 brioche buns, or any type of hamburger bun you like
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef and the ground pork together, breaking up with a spoon into small crumbles. Cook until no pink remains and then drain any drippings from the skillet.
- Add the onion and peppers to the skillet with the meat. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion and peppers have softened, then add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Season the mixture with the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Pour in the beef broth, stir and simmer until the broth almost evaporates. Stir in the tomato paste and then add the marinara sauce, Worcestershire sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and then cook for 5 minutes, just to warm the filling through.
- Add a portion (about 1 heaping cup) of the sloppy joe mixture to the bottom of a bun while it’s still warm and then top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. The heat from the sloppy joes will melt the cheese, but if you want the cheese melted more, just microwave the bottom half of the sandwich for about 15 seconds before serving. Place the top bun on the sandwich and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, sloppy joes, ground beef recipes, ground pork recipes, easy recipes, dinner ideas, make ahead recipes, game day food, party food, recipes for parties