This comforting Italian Broccoli Soup is just like my Grandma used to make! No cream, just broccoli, garlic and parmesan cheese so it’s actually good for you too!
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into stems and florets
- 4 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth or all water)
- 2 cups water
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3/4 cup orzo or ditalini pasta
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil for garnish
Add the broccoli to a soup pot or dutch oven. Pour in the broth and water along with the salt, pepper and garlic cloves. Bring to a boil and then summer for 30 minutes, covered.
Smash the broccoli with a potato masher, or you can use an immersion blender but don’t blend until smooth. Leave larger and smaller pieces of broccoli for texture.
Stir in the pasta and cook uncovered for 15 minutes until the pasta is tender, stirring often so the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Add the nutmeg, taste for seasonings and adjust if needed. Serve with grated parmesan cheese and more fresh black pepper if desired.
Nutrition information is without parmesan cheese and olive oil garnish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli soup, soup recipes, healthy recipes, comfort food, dinner ideas