These fried appetizers are the perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! Use our homemade brown gravy recipe or grab a jar at the store!
- 1 package square wonton wrappers
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (leftover, homemade or store bought)
- 16 oz. package mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup prepared brown gravy (homemade, store bought in jar or powder form)
- Vegetable or canola oil oil for frying
- Fill a deep pot half way with the oil.
- Bring to 350 degrees over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating up, fill a wonton with 1 tablespoon mashed potatoes then add a cube of cheese to the center.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and seal up to form a triangle. Make sure the edges are sealed well so that no filling leaks out.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels then keep in a 250 degree oven until the rest of the wontons are fried.
- Serve with gravy for dipping.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: wontons, fried wontons, appetizers, leftover recipes, leftover mashed potatoes, brown gravy, fried food, comfort food