This triple decker hamburger recipe is smothered in caramelized onions and 3 different kinds of cheese!
- 3 ¼ lb. (thin) hamburger patties
- 2 thick slices baby Swiss cheese
- 2 thick slices aged Swiss cheese
- 2 thick slices Alpine-style cheese
- 2 slices store bought Texas Toast
- 1 package Au Jus powdered gravy
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 5 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons marsala wine
- 1 package store bought au jus (optional, for dipping)
- Start the caramelized onions by melting the butter and olive oil together in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the sliced onions, salt and pepper to the skillet and toss to coat in the butter and olive oil.
- Cook, stirring often, for 20-30 minutes until softened and browned.
- Stir in the marsala wine and cook for 2 minutes more, then remove from the heat.
- Cook the Texas toast in the oven according to the package directions and let cool.
- While the Texas toast is in the oven, make the au jus according to the package directions.
- When you’re ready to make the burgers, take out the hamburger patties and place on your grill. Grill for 2 minutes per side, then top each burger with 2 slices of each different type of cheese to melt.
- Place a burger on a piece of Texas toast, then top with a large spoonful or the caramelized onions.
- Repeat with the other two layers, ending with the onions on top and then the top piece of Texas toast.
You can also use our Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions to make these cheeseburgers if you’re making this recipe for a party or BBQ!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hamburger recipe, dinner recipes, grilling recipes tailgating recipes, beef recipes, ground beef recipes