These crispy Eggplant Fries are perfect for appetizers! These “fries” can be made in a skillet with oil, baked or air fried!
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten with a splash if water
- Canola or vegetable oil for cooking
- Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise. Stack the eggplant slices and cut into strips that resemble the size of french fries. You’ll want these a little on the thicker side because they will fall apart if they are sliced too thin.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl or plate and the egg wash into another shallow bowl or plate. Dip a strip of eggplant into the egg wash, letting the excess drop off and then into the breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere to the eggplant strip. Repeat with the remaining eggplant strips.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. You’ll want just enough oil to coat the bottom of your skillet in a thin layer. Add the breaded eggplant in a single layer to the skillet, with enough room around them so that they brown properly. Don’t overcrowd the skillet or the eggplant won’t get crispy.
- Cook the eggplant strips, turning as they cook, for about 5 minutes until all sides are brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and parmesan cheese. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Serve the eggplant fries with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the breaded eggplant onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes, turning over in between cooking.
To Air Fry:
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray air fryer base (or racks) with non stick cooking spray. Place the eggplant onto the racks or air fryer base in a single layer.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes, turning over in between cooking if needed.
You can keep the eggplant warm in a 300 degree oven until ready to serve. Any leftover eggplant fries can also be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until warmed through and crispy.
- Serving Size: 6
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: eggplant, fried eggplant, eggplant recipes, eggplant fries, party food, game day food