These Crispy Eggplant Fries are perfect for appetizers! These “fries” can be made in a skillet with oil, baked or air fried!
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten with a splash of water
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Canola or vegetable oil for cooking
- Kosher salt
- Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise. Stack the eggplant slices and cut into strips that resemble the size of french fries. You’ll want these a little on the thicker side because they will fall apart if they are sliced too thin.
- Place the flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Dip a strip of eggplant into the flour, tapping off the excess, then the egg wash, letting the excess drop off and then into the breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere to the eggplant strip. Repeat with the remaining eggplant strips.
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. You’ll want just enough oil to coat the bottom of your skillet in a thin layer. Add the breaded eggplant in a single layer to the skillet, being careful not to overcrowd the skillet or the eggplant won’t get crispy.
- Cook the eggplant strips, turning as they cook, for about 5 minutes until all sides are brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and parmesan cheese. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Serve the eggplant fries with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the breaded eggplant onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spray the eggplant with cooking spray or an oil mister and then bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes, turning over (and re-spraying with oil) in between cooking.
To Air Fry:
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray air fryer base (or racks) with non stick cooking spray. Place the eggplant onto the racks or air fryer base in a single layer.
- Cook for 8 minutes, turning over and spraying in between cooking.
- Season with salt and parmesan cheese immediately after removing from the air fryer.
You can keep the eggplant warm in a 300 degree oven until ready to serve. Any leftover eggplant fries can also be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until warmed through and crispy.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American