This easy to make guacamole recipe is our go to appetizer! Just a few simple ingredients and those coveted ripe avocados is all you need!
- 6 ripe avocados
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste (can substitute cayenne for more heat)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (about 1/2 fresh lime)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the avocados into a large bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, lime juice and white vinegar to the bowl. Mash the seasonings together with the avocados using a fork or a potato masher. Mash the avocados into the consistency you like, either with some chunks of avocado or completely smooth.
- Taste for seasonings and serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator using the tips in the notes below.
To Store Fresh Guacamole: Place the leftover guacamole in a bowl and smooth out the top. Pour a thin layer of lemon juice or lime juice on the top of the guacamole. The acid in the juice will help to stop the oxidation of the avocados, which is the reason why your guac turns brown on you.
Next place a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole, pressing out any air as much as you can. You can then put a lid on your bowl or container if you have one, or place a double layer of plastic wrap over the bowl.
Properly stored, this guacamole should keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: guacamole recipe, homemade guacamole, appetizers, dip recipe, avocados