Our family loves these Creamy Caramelized Onion Chicken Thighs for dinner! Serve over rice, pasta or a side of fries, or just as is for a low carb dinner!
- 5 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on) seasoned with kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (divided)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Add the oil and butter to a 12 inch skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions to the skillet along with a 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer then remove the onions from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Place the seasoned chicken thighs in the skillet skin side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes until browned then turn over and cook another 4-5 minutes on the other side. Remove the thighs to a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet along with the remaining tablespoon of butter, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon of thyme.
- Cook until mushrooms have browned, stirring, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stir and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth while whisking to prevent any lumps, and get anything off the bottom of the skillet.
- Place the onions and chicken thighs back in the skillet, skin side up. Spoon some of the broth over the tops, cover and cook on medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken thighs to a serving platter. Pour the heavy cream in the skillet, whisking to combine with the sauce. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then pour the gravy over the chicken thighs and garnish with parsley.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy chicken thighs recipe, skillet chicken thighs recipe, chicken thighs dinner recipe, skillet chicken dinner