This mouth watering mushroom recipe works for both a side dish or a topping for steak or chicken!
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease, reserved from cooking the bacon
- 10 ounces whole button mushrooms, cleaned and stems trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Let the bacon drain on paper towels and drain the grease from the skillet, reserving a tablespoon for cooking the mushrooms.
- Add the bacon grease and butter to the same skillet. Once the butter is melted and frothy, add the mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme to the skillet and cook 5 – 7 minutes until browned, turning as they cook.
- Pour the wine or chicken broth into the skillet and let the liquid reduce for 2 minutes. Add the cream and 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese and the cooked bacon, stir to combine and bring to a low simmer.
- Cook the mushrooms for 15 minutes over low heat until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Turn on the broiler to preheat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese on top of the mushrooms and then place the skillet under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- Serve with chopped parsley and more fresh thyme for garnish.
You will need to use an oven proof skillet for this recipe!
Or if you want to skip the broiler, you can add the full 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese right to the sauce.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom recipes, side dishes, side dish recipes, low carb recipes, holiday sides, vegetable side dishes