Creamed Spinach is a classic steak house side dish that can easily be made at home! We love serving this spinach recipe on holidays with our turkey or ham, too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh baby spinach (see note)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided (two teaspoons for cooking the spinach and 1 1/2 teaspoons in the sauce)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet. Add one pound of the fresh spinach and one teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium heat while turning to let the spinach wilt. Once the spinach has wilted, remove it to a bowl to cool and repeat with the other pound of spinach, using the other tablespoon of olive oil and the another teaspoon of salt.
- Let the spinach cool and then squeeze out all the excess liquid and return back to the bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same skillet along with the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring to let the onions soften. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to coat all the four in the butter.
- Pour in the milk and heavy cream while whisking, and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. Add the nutmeg, pepper and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt to the sauce. Let the sauce cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add the parmesan cheese to the sauce and along with the cooked spinach and stir to combine.
- Taste the spinach for seasonings and adjust if needed. Cover to keep warm or serve.
If using frozen spinach you’ll need two 10 ounce boxes, defrosted and squeezed dry.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, creamed spinach, holiday side dishes, spinach recipe, make ahead recipes, vegetable side dishes