Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Bacon is a super cozy low carb side that everyone will love! Serve with a steak dinner or your holiday roast!
- 4– 4/12 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the chopped garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Place the other tablespoon of butter into the skillet and add the flour, whisking to combine with the onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly whisk in the cream and chicken broth. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg to the sauce and stir.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer then add 1/2 cup of the gruyere and 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, whisking to combine until the sauce is smooth. Add the cooked spaghetti squash and bacon to the cream sauce, stirring to combine.
- Pour into a shallow (1 quart) baking dish, then top with the remaining 1/4 cup of both cheeses, followed by the bacon bits and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes until bubbling then remove from the oven and preheat the broiler.
- Place the baking dish back into the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes until the top of the casserole is brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining bacon bits.
You can use real bacon that’s been cooked and chopped finely instead of bacon bits.
I prefer to cook this recipe in a 1 quart, shallow gratin dish but an 8″ x 8″ baking dish will work also.
If you need to double this recipe you can easily do so and cook in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Cooking times should be approximately the same.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spaghetti squash, bacon recipes, side dish recipes, holiday side dish, thanksgiving side dish, spaghetti squash recipes