This thick and creamy chowder recipe has all the flavors of a crab cake right in a bowl!
- 1 pound crab claw meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup bell peppers, chopped (you can use any color you like)
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
For the Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onion, celery and bell peppers. Stir, and then season with salt, pepper, cayenne and the Old Bay.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until the potatoes begin to get soften.
- Carefully pour in the wine and let it reduce down for a minute.
- Next add in the chicken stock and the Worcestershire sauce, stir and let simmer with the lid partially covered for 20 minutes.
- In a a large bowl or measuring cup, combine the milk and the cream.
- Whisk the flour into the milk and cream mixture until it’s well combined and there are no lumps.
- Remove the lid after the 20 minutes, and slowly pour in the milk and cream mixture, whisking as you go.
- Bring the chowder back up to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Gently stir the crab into the chowder.
- While the soup is simmering, make the panko topping by melting the butter in a skillet and then adding the breadcrumbs, thyme and Old Bay Seasoning. Stir to coat all the breadcrumbs with the butter and cook until just browned.
- Serve the chowder in bowls with the breadcrumb topping as garnish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: crab chowder, chowder recipe, seafood chowder, soup recipe, dinner ideas