- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. crushed pineapple, drained (reserving juice from can)
- 3/4 c. regular breadcrumbs
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 T. reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 1 c. coconut flakes (sweetened)
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Mix the ground chicken, 1 egg, crushed pineapple, breadcrumbs, garlic and onion powders, salt and the pineapple juice together in a bowl and chill for 1 hour.
- Set a large pot filled halfway with oil to heat over medium heat. While the oil is heating start scooping out the meatballs.
- Set out 3 bowls for coating the meatballs, one with an egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water, another with the flour and another with the panko breadcrumbs and coconut flakes combined together.
- Using a 1 1/2 T. scoop, portion out a meatball and dip it first in the flour, shaking off any excess, then in the egg and then in the panko/coconut mixture.
- Place on a sheet tray or a board and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Once the oil comes to 325 degrees carefully place in a few meatballs at a time, being careful not to crowd the pot.
- Fry the meatballs for 3-4 minutes, then remove one and cut into it to make sure the mixture is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Place the meatballs on a plate lined with paper towels and repeat until all the meatballs are fried.
- Serve with toothpicks and a piece of pineapple if desired.
You can keep these meatballs in the oven at 250º for up to an hour.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meatball recipe, chicken meatballs, coconut chicken, appetizer recipes, cocktail meatball recipe