This unique chili recipe originated in Cincinnati in the early 1900’s and has become a standard dish in many restaurants and chili houses. Now you can enjoy this chili recipe wherever you live!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon crushed or finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (start with a half and then add more if desired)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package directions and drained
- Red kidney beans,
- Finely grated cheddar cheese
- Diced raw white onions
- Add the oil to a large pot or dutch oven. Cook the onions for about 5 minutes until softened, then stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the ground beef to the pot and brown, breaking up into small pieces and stirring together with the onions and garlic. If you like, you can drain any drippings from the pot at this time, or just start adding the seasonings.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, ground cloves, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt and cocoa powder to the pot and stir. Stir in the tomato paste and let brown for 1 minute.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, water and diced tomatoes along with the red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and bring the chili to a simmer. Simmer the chili, covered for 45 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings, adjust if needed and remove the bay leaf Serve over spaghetti with your choice of toppings.
If you like a thinner consistency, add up to 1/2 cup of water to loosen the base of the chili.
This chili recipe can be made ahead of time and leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili recipe, cincinnati chili, ground beef recipes, low carb recipes, dinner recipes