This super comforting baked ziti recipe is made easy with a rotisserie chicken!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 pound ziti
- Start a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Cook 2 minutes shy of the package directions, then drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the butter and oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions, tossing to coat in the butter and oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and the mushrooms have browned.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and stir, then add the salt, pepper and chopped thyme.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions, stirring to combine. Let the flour cook out for 30 seconds, then pour in the marsala wine, stir and let reduce for 1 minute.
- Pour the chicken stock into the skillet, whisk and then bring to a simmer for 5 minutes until the broth has thickened.
- Stir in the cream, then add the shredded chicken to the sauce. Stir to combine the chicken with the sauce and remove from the heat.
- Add the cooked pasta back to the pot. Pour the chicken and sauce over the cooked pasta along with 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and top with the mozzarella cheese and the other 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook another 5-7 minutes until the cheese on top is melted. Alternately you can put the casserole under the broiler to get a good brown color.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and more parmesan cheese if desired.
If you’re cooking this baked ziti covered, spray the aluminum foil with cooking spray before covering the casserole so the cheese doesn’t stick to it.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked ziti recipe, pasta recipes, recipes to make with rotisserie chicken, casserole recipes, chicken and pasta recipes, potluck recipes