These super crispy, chicken and cheese filled chimichangas are going to take over your taco night! You can pan fry, air fry or oven bake these chimichangas!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 16 ounce can refried beans
- 4 cups cooked shredded or diced chicken
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion for 3-4 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Carefully pour in the tomato sauce and salsa, stir and then add the salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Stir in the refried beans until the filling is smooth. Fold in the chicken and taste for seasonings. Adjust if needed and then let the filling cool.
- Lay a tortilla on a board. Add about 3/4 cup of the filling across the center of the tortilla, topped with 1/2 cup of cheese. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the filling, tucking in as you roll. Fold both sides of the tortilla in and complete the roll with the seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas to make 6 burritos.
To Pan Fry:
- Add a shallow layer of oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chimichangas seam side down and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Turn the chimichangas over and cook on the other side another 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove the chimichangas from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to remove any oil before serving.
To Air Fry:
- Spray the basket of an air fryer with non-stick cooking spray. Add as many chimichangas as will fit in a single layer without overlapping. Cook on 400 degrees for 10 minutes, turning over after 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and add the chimichangas seam side down. Spray the tops of the chimichangas with an oil cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, turn over and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American / Tex-Mex
Keywords: chicken recipes, easy chicken recipes, rotisserie chicken recipes, chimichangas, fried burritos, burrito recipes