This Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole is a favorite Thanksgiving side dish! Buttery mashed sweet potatoes sweetened with brown sugar and a splash of bourbon! It’s a fancy – but easy! – twist on the classic sweet potatoes with marshmallows side dish.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans, divided (1/2 cup for topping)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot of water, filling the water a couple of inches over the tops of the potatoes. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt to the water and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes until they are fork tender and drain.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add the butter, vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and 1 cup of the chopped pecans to the bowl and stir to combine with the potatoes.
- Pour the sweet potatoes into a buttered, 9″ x 13″ (2 quart) casserole dish and top with the marshmallows and the remaining 1/2 cup of pecans.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the center is hot and the marshmallows have browned. If the marshmallows are getting to brown on top and the casserole isn’t warm yet, spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray and cover the casserole dish until warmed through.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato casserole, thanksgiving side dish, sweet potato casserole marshmallow, easy sweet potato casserole, sweet potato casserole with pecans, how to make sweet potato casserole