This thick and hearty Bolognese Sauce sauce recipe is sure to become a family favorite! Perfect for meal prepping during the week and for Sunday dinners!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon (a few grates) fresh nutmeg
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (85% lean)
- 2–3 large garlic cloves, crushed or left whole
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Add the oil to a dutch oven, or heavy bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, celery and onion and brown for 15 minutes
- Turn the heat up to medium, then add the ground beef to the pot and cook until browned though. Drain any grease from the pot, then season with salt, pepper nutmeg and fresh garlic.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then pour in the wine, making sure to scrape up the bottom of the pot. Bring to a simmer and leet reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and tomatoes, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Turn the heat back to low, stir and then let the sauce cook for for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
You can partially cover the pot while the sauce is cooking, just don’t cover the pot completely because the sauce needs to reduce while it cooks.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bolognese sauce, meat sauce recipe, pasta recipes, ground beef recipes, dinner recipes