This Black Eyed Pea Jambalaya is full of flavor and perfect for the New Year! According to tradition, black eyed peas are a symbol of luck. So start the new year off right with this tasty recipe!
- 3 T. Olive oil
- 1/3 lb. Chorizo sausage, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/3 lb. Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 t. finely chopped parsley
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb. black-eyed peas
- 1/2 lb. long grain rice
- 3/4 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add your sausages and cook for 5 minutes. Next add in your onions, salt, cayenne, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and parsley. Cook for another 5 minutes until the onions are cooked down. Stir in your chicken stock, black-eyed peas and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for an hour.
- After an hour, add in the shrimp and rice.
- Cook another 30 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the scallions and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black eyed peas recipe, how to make black eyed peas, black eyed peas new years, jambalaya recipe, easy jambalaya recipe