This Beef and Mushroom Spaghetti is the perfect balance of comfort food and a healthy recipe! Whole wheat spaghetti, lean ground beef and lots of fresh mushrooms tossed in a light cream sauce!
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/2 of a teaspoon of the salt and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until you get a deep brown color. Remove the mushrooms form the skillet to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add the additional tablespoon of oil to the skillet and then add the onions and ground beef. Break up the beef as it cooks together with the onions until the beef has cooked though. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, more black pepper and the thyme. Add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms back to the skillet and gently combine with the beef and onions. Sprinkle in the flour into the skillet and toss to combine with the beef and mushrooms. Carefully pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Let the wine reduce for 3-4 minutes until it’s almost evaporated.
- Add the beef broth and cream, stir and then bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally. Taste the sauce for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet along with the parmesan cheese and toss to combine the sauce with the pasta. If your skillet isn’t large enough to do this, put the spaghetti back into the pot you cooked it in and pour the sauce over and toss.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, more black pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, spaghetti recipe, whole wheat pasta recipe, recipes with ground beef, recipes with mushrooms, comfort food