These Apple Rum Sweet Potatoes have a little something special in them…dark rum and tart green apples! Not only are these sweet potatoes going to be perfect for your holiday table, there easy enough to make for every day dinners!
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 green apples, peeled and cored
- 2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg (if using pre-ground nutmeg, cut down to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract (can also substitute regular vanilla extract)
- Add the sweet potatoes and apples to a large pot. Add cold water to just cover the tops of the potatoes and apples along with a couple of tablespoons of kosher salt and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are very tender and drain. The apples will be very soft, which is ok, they will practically melt into the sweet potatoes when mashing.
- Return the sweet potatoes and apples to the pot along with the butter, rum, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and vanilla extract. Mash with a potato masher to break down the potatoes and combine all the ingredients. Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- Serve with extra butter and cinnamon on top.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, thanksgiving sides, thanksgiving recipes, thanksgiving side dishes, side dish recipes, holiday sides