These tender, braised chicken thighs are covered in the most delicious apple cider gravy! Serve this chicken dinner with mashed potatoes or rice for soaking up all the gravy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green apple, cut into thick slices
- 1 red apple, cut into thick slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper. Add to skillet with olive oil skin side down for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Drain drippings form skillet into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the drippings back into the skillet along with the onions, apples and thyme. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and fresh black pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes until the apples and onions have softened. Add the garlic, stir and cook another minute longer.
- Sprinkle flour into the skillet and mix together with the onions and apples. Pour in the cider, stir and then pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and return the chicken thighs back to the skillet, tucking down into the sauce. Partially cover the skillet and simmer for 20 minutes until the thighs are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken thighs to a platter and then spoon the onions, apples and gravy over the top. Serve with more fresh thyme if desired.
If you have a large enough skillet, you can cook 6 chicken thighs for this recipe and there will still be plenty of gravy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken thigh recipe, chicken recipes, easy chicken recipes, dinner ideas, dinner recipes, fall recipes, chicken with apples