This lighter version of the classic take out dish will have you jumping for joy! Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken has all the flavors you crave but without all the fat from frying!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, diced into roughly 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (or fresh finely chopped ginger)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Chopped scallions and sesame seeds for garnish
- Place the diced chicken in a bowl and toss together with the egg. Add the cornstarch to another bowl. Take a few pieces of the chicken at a time and toss them into the cornstarch, shaking off the excess and then place onto a board or a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and then place into the basket of an air fryer, single layer is best, at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. If you have an air fryer that has racks, this can definitely be done in one batch, but the air fryers with a basket will most likely be done in two batches.
- Mix the chicken broth, soy sauce, chili garlic paste, honey, rice wine vinegar and cornstarch together in a bowl.
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat and cook the garlic for a minute or two until it’s lightly browned. Whisk the sauce once more and then pour into the skillet. Whisk the sauce as it starts to thicken and then add the chicken and toss.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions, serve immediately.
Oven instructions: After you coat the chicken in cornstarch, place it on a sheet pan that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the chicken with an olive oil based spray and then bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. turn the chicken over and cook another 5 minutes. Follow the rest of the instructions starting with the sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mantitlement, air fryer recipes, chicken recipes, chicken thigh recipes, recipes with chicken breast, take out at home