This Air Fryer Chicken Katsu tastes just as good as the fried version! Slice and serve with Asian BBQ sauce (Tonkatsu) or your favorite dipping sauce. We love serving this crispy chicken over rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
- 1 1/4 pound package of thin sliced chicken breasts
- Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley for seasoning the chicken
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten with a splash of milk or cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat panko bread crumbs (can also use regular)
- Olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray
- Tonkatsu sauce or teriyaki glaze
- Chopped scallions and sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Generously season both sides of the chicken breasts with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley.
- Set up a breading station using 3 shallow bowls or plates with a rim. Add the flour to one, the eggs to another and the bread crumbs to the third.
- Dip each seasoned chicken breast into the flour, tapping off the excess, then into the egg mixture, letting the excess egg drip off and then finally into the panko bread crumbs. Press the bread crumbs into each side of the chicken to make sure that it has an even coating.
- Preheat your air fryer (if required) to 400 degrees.
- Spray the racks or the basket of your air fryer with the cooking spray. Place the chicken cutlets onto the racks or in the basket and then spray the chicken with the cooking spray. You might have to cook the chicken in a couple of batches, depending on how big your air fryer is.
- Cook the chicken for 5 minutes and then flip the chicken over and cook another 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy.
- Place the chicken on a board and slice into strips. Drizzle the tops with Tonkatsu sauce or teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions if desired. (See post for additional sauce ideas!)
Oven Instructions: Place the breaded chicken on a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray and cook for 10-12 minutes, until brown and crispy. Check that the temperature is at 165 degrees before serving.
Reheating Instructions: Reheat the chicken cutlets in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. To reheat in the oven, place the cutlets on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 7-8 minutes, until warmed through.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American