This Tailgate Steak Sandwich is one of my favorite recipes to tailgate with! But we make this sandwich for parties and holidays, too. It’s too good to save!
Opening Day 2014 at Yankee Stadium is like the official start of summer to me.
Being that this was my son’s first opening day game I wanted to make something a little more special. So I thought I’d make something that tasted like it came off a tailgate grill. One of his favorite sandwiches is chicken salad, but I came up with something way better – a steak salad sandwich.
What Kind Of Steak Works Best For These Sandwiches?
Well…there’s a few different answers for that. We chose sirloin for this steak sandwich because it’s affordable. Sirloin can be tough if it’s overcooked though so you do have to be careful. Grill sirloin to medium or medium rare for the best texture and flavor.
Other kinds of steak that would be great in this steak sandwich are tri-tip, flank steak (you’d have slices instead of chunks) skirt steak or strip steak. Depending on your budget, a filet is always amazing!
How Do You Make These Steak Sandwiches?
Start by making the balsamic mayonnaise. Just mix together balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, some fresh basil and a splash of milk to help thin it out. Let the mayo dressing chill while you grill the steaks.
Grill the steaks to medium or medium rare, even rare, depending on how you like your steak cooked. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, covered, before cutting into chunks to add to the sandwiches. If you prefer you can slice the steak as well.
Add a good amount of the balsamic mayo to each side of a sub roll and then layer on the steak. Top with roasted red peppers and serve. I’m telling you guys, these steak sandwiches are the most epic dude food.
Not that I know many women who would turn down this Tailgate Steak Sandwich either, but if there ever is a sandwich for men, this one is it!
Looking For More Steak Recipes?
- Dan’s Famous Whiskey Steak
- Asian Steak Roll Ups
- Quick Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Fiesta Steak Bites
This steak sandwich will knock it out of the park! Tender pieces of steak with the most delicious creamy dressing!
- 2 pounds sirloin steak
- Olive oil, salt and pepper for seasoning the steaks
- Roasted Red Peppers
- 4 large sub rolls
For the Balsamic Mayonnaise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Make the mayonnaise by adding all the ingredients to a bowl. Whisk together and let chill until the steaks are ready.
- Season the steaks generously with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Grill and for about 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steaks. These sandwiches work best when the steak is cooked medium rare to rare.
- Remove the steak and let rest, covered with foil for at least 10 minutes. After the steak rests, cube into 1 to 1 1/2″ pieces.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding a good layer of the balsamic mayonnaise to both sides of a sub roll. Add steak and top with a few roasted red peppers.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: steak sandwich recipe, steak recipe, sandwich recipe, dinner ideas, grilling recipes