This sloppy joe recipe has a TON of vegetables snuck right inside the beef filling! You’re kids will never know they’re in there!
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced eggplant (from one small eggplant, peeled)
- 2 cups diced button mushrooms (a 10 oz. package)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 28 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add in the diced eggplant and mushrooms and cook down for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are reduced to about half.
- Push the vegetables over to one side of the pan and add in the ground beef.
- Once the beef is browned, combine it with the vegetables, add the salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder and stir.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and then add the brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir and let simmer for 15 minutes uncovered until thickened.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sloppy joe recipe, beef recipes, ground beef recipes, eggplant recipes, healthy dinner recipes, healthy recipes, easy dinner ideas