What Is Shaking Beef?
Shaking Beef is a quick, 15-20 minute recipe that typically uses filet mignon. Seared filet with red onions and lots of fresh Asian flavors, quickly “shaken” in a hot skillet.
Totally fine by me…I’ll never turn down filet, but for a steak recipe on a weeknight I don’t see a lot of people running out and buying filet mignon.
So we wanted to figure out a way to get the same flavors and the same tender beef in this recipe without spending a fortune at the store.
And I think we nailed it – the slow cooker for the win.
This is truly a dump and go recipe. No searing before hand, just get everything in there and head out the door. The only extra step is shredding the beef when it’s done and thickening the sauce at the end.
How Do You Make Shaking Beef?
For this slow cooker recipe, grab a flank steak or a sirloin, cut it into large cubes and place it in your slow cooker along with slices of red onion.
Mix together a few ingredients for the sauce and pour it over the top of the beef and onions. You can use regular white onions, too, the red onions are typical of a shaking beef recipe.
Set your slow cooker for 6 hours on low then remove the meat and the onions into a bowl to cool.
Pour the sauce into a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes while you shred the beef.
Add cornstarch to thicken the sauce, pour it over the shredded beef and onions and together.
What Can You Serve With Shaking Beef?
Eat this beef recipe all on it’s own if you’d like. If you’re looking for a low carb recipe that has a ton of flavor, this is it. All you need to do is add some steamed broccoli on the side.
Pretty much anything is going to work with this recipe, even piling it into a steaming bake potato!
Looking For More Crock Pot Recipes?
- Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Overnight Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
- Crock Pot Sticky Chicken Legs
- Applesauce Pork Roast
This slow cooker recipe transforms flank steak into a tender, Asian flavored dinner!
- 2 1/2–3 lb. flank steak, cut into large cubes
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- 4 scallions, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Add the steak cubes to a slow cooker.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together (except for the cornstarch) and pour over the steak.
- Top with the slices of red onion and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Remove the steak and onions to a bowl with tongs or a slotted spoon, leaving the sauce. Let it cool slightly then shred the steak into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
- Pour the sauce into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture while whisking and bring back to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the beef and onions and toss to combine.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: slow cooker recipe, crock pot recipe, crock pot beef, shaking beef recipe, steak recipe, dinner recipe