This delicious and hearty soup recipe is the perfect way to use up your leftover ham!
- 1 ham bone from approximately a 20 lb. ham (give or take a few pounds isn’t going to matter)
- 1 pound of ham, leftover or cut off from bone, shredded
- 3 onions, quartered
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups short tube pasta
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Add all the ingredients except the pasta and the 1 pound of ham to a slow cooker.
- Just add enough water to cover the ham bone, too much water will make a weaker stock. We used approximately 8 cups of water for this size ham bone. Set on high and cook for 6-8 hours
- Remove and discard the ham bone and the onion quarters.
- Taste the stock for seasonings, then add in the pound of reserved ham and pasta.
- Stir, cover and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley if desired.
If you’d rather make this recipe on the stove top, just follow the same instructions in a dutch oven or soup pot and cook for about 3 hours, simmering. Taste for seasonings, remove the ham bone and add the pasta. Cook for another 10 minutes until the pasta is tender.
Keywords: slow cooker recipes, crock pot recipes, leftover ham recipe, soup recipes, ham bone