There are a lot of recipes that claim to be “The Best”, but this really is The Best Sausage Stuffing recipe! We make it as a Thanksgiving side dish and also during the regular year – it’s so good we just have to get our fix!
- 1 lb. bulk Italian sweet or spicy sausage
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large green apple, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 16 cups white bread, toasted (*see note)
- Extra butter for buttering the dish and for the top of the stuffing
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, then add the sausage, breaking up with a spoon or spatula until browned.
- When the sausage is almost all browned add in the diced apple, onion, poultry seasoning and thyme then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, salt and pepper and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After the sausage and broth mixture has simmered, taste for seasonings and adjust if needed.
- While the broth is simmering, toast the bread slices until golden brown, cut or tear into large cubes then add to a large bowl.
- Let the chicken broth mixture cool slightly, then pour into the bowl on top of the toasted bread and toss gently until all the bread is coated in the chicken broth.
- Beat the eggs together with the parsley, add to the bowl then gently mix together with the bread and sausage.
- Pour the stuffing into a buttered, 9″ x 13″ baking dish and then top the stuffing with small pieces of butter all around, about 2 tablespoons.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Take the foil off and bake another 20 minutes until the stuffing is crispy on top.
If you prefer to not have a crispy stuffing then leave the foil on for the entire cooking time. You can make this stuffing recipe ahead of time, cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Bring the dish out about 30 minutes before cooking to let it come to room temperature first.
You’ll need to buy 2 regular loaves of white bread (you’ll use about 1 1/2 loaves for 16 cups) or you can buy and extra large 24 ounce loaf.
Keywords: sausage stuffing, best stuffing recipe, easy stuffing recipe, sausage and apple stuffing, thanksgiving side dish, homemade stuffing, holiday side dish, thanksgiving recipe, thanksgiving stuffing