For Roasting the Squash
- 2 spaghetti squash, split in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
For the Filling
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus and extra 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cider
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the 4 halves of the spaghetti squash onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Season the spaghetti squash halves with the salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Place cut sides down and roast for 50 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, brown the sausage in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the apple cider to a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat down to a simmer and reduce for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- When the squash is done, turn over so the cut side is up and scrape the seeds out until you get down to the squash. Shred the squash with a fork until all the strands are separated.
- Place the squash in a large bowl, add the browned sausage, parmesan cheese and the reduced cider. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the filling into each of the 4 squash halves, top with the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and top with chopped parsley and red pepper flakes if using.