sausage and peppers with a creamy cheese stuffed in a parmesan coated bread.
- 1 lb. italian sausage, sweet or hot
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 /2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. dried basil
- 2 packages of Pillsbury Italian Bread
- 1 8 oz. package Cabot® Horseradish Cheddar
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella/provolone blend
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 T. parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Saute the sausage in 1 T. of olive oil until browned.
- Add in the chopped onions and peppers, cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and the garlic powder, oregano and basil.
- Divide the filling in half, then set aside to cool.
- Open the package of dough and place the loaf on a floured board. Make a cut down the center of the loaf to butterfly the loaf open. You won’t cut all the way through, just cut enough to spread the loaf in half.
- Place half of the filling down the center of the dough. Add 1 cup of the horseradish cheddar and 1 cup of the mozzarella/provolone blend on top of the filling.
- Fold half of the dough over the filling, brush with egg wash, then fold the other half of the dough over to seal. Fold both ends over and press to seal with egg wash.
- Place the stuffed bread seam side down on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Brush the entire loaf with egg wash then add some parmesan cheese on top.
- Repeat with the other loaf.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully slice and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.