- 2 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 6 T. butter
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 c. chopped scallions
- Wash and peel the potatoes and then cut into large cubes.
- Add to a large pot and then fill with cold water with a tablespoon of salt.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher or using a potato ricer.
- Add the butter, garlic powder, salt, milk, pepper, 1/2 c. of the shredded cheese and the sour cream to the potatoes.
- Mix together well and set aside.
- Heat a 12″ cast iron skillet (or a non-stick skillet that’s oven proof) with the additional 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the mashed potatoes in and even layer, then top with the other 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, the bacon and scallions.
- Place in the oven to cook for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then serve.
- This would also be a great use of leftover mashed potatoes!