- 1 3-4 lb. corned beef (discard spice packet)
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, whole
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
For the Guinness Glaze
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 T. canola oil
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. pineapple juice
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. teriyaki sauce
- 3/4 c. dark beer like Guinness
- 1/4–1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 4 t. cornstarch mixed with 4 teaspoons of water
- Place the corned beef in your slow cooker with 2-4 cups of water, just enough to almost cover the beef, along with the onion, garlic and carrots and set on low for 6-8 hours. (you can do this the day before)
- When the corned beef is done, let it cool and shred it into bite sized pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and then add in the minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring and then add the beer.
- Cook the beer down until it reduces by half, about 8-10 minutes, then add in the rest of the ingredients for the glaze. (except for the cornstarch)
- Once the glaze comes to a boil add in the cornstarch mixture and stir. Bring back to a boil then cook for 3-4 minutes until the glaze thickens.
- Spoon the glaze over the shredded corned beef (you won’t need it all) and toss to coat.
- Place the corned beef on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 8-10 minutes until the glaze caramelizes.
Leftover glaze is awesome over grilled chicken or for dipping chicken fingers!