Creamy Potato and Avocado Soup is the creamiest, most delicious potato soup you’ll ever make! It’s also a great recipe to use up those leftover mashed potatoes!
This Recipe Is Great For Using Up Leftover Mashed Potatoes
This soup was totally made by accident – and what a good accident it was.
I had made about 5 lbs. of mashed potatoes to try out a recipe idea I had and it bombed. Didn’t work out at all.
I can’t complain too much because that doesn’t really happen to us that often. But now what to do with the remaining 3lbs. of mashed potatoes??
Just eat them – Christie said. That’s nothing for you and the boys to finish off at dinner time! Which is true, we could just eat them…
But I was still in recipe mode so I wanted to make something for the site here. What to do with leftover mashed potatoes? There’s a ton of recipes, like our Fried Mashed Potato Balls, or our Loaded Skillet Mashed Potatoes. But I still wanted something different…Then I got it.
Soup! I’m going to take my leftover mashed potatoes and make creamy potato soup. Pretty smart, right? And to top that crazy smart idea all off I’m going to make it even better by adding avocados to the mix.
Avocado is one of my new favorite foods. I can’t believe that for years I didn’t eat them, thought I didn’t like them. So now we have avocados in the house all the time. Mostly for making guacamole but we use them in so many different recipes too.
How Do You Make This Creamy Potato Soup?
But today it’s soup time – if you don’t happen to have mounds of leftover mashed potatoes I included our recipe for them in case you want to make that 5 lb. bag, have some mash for dinner and then make this soup with the rest. Or you can always half this recipe and make the soup with the amount of potatoes that you do have leftover.
Here we go –
Get your mashed potatoes into a big soup pot and add in one smashed up avocado.
Stir in 3-4 cups of chicken broth and heat until bubbling.
Creamy Potato and Avocado Soup.
Seriously easy. Seriously amazing. Also I want to add that the only cream in here is the 3/4 cup that we made the mashed potatoes with and if you’re counting calories you could easily substitute milk.
You can add some toppings or not- we had bacon so that was a no brainer. But it’s good all by itself, I promise.
I’m sure someone, somewhere has turned mashed potatoes into soup before but I’m not going to google it. For now it’s all my idea!
Creamy Potato and Avocado Soup is the creamiest, most delicious potato soup you’ll ever make! It’s also a great way to use up those leftover mashed potatoes!
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes, or use our Perfect Mashed Potato recipe
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 3–4 cups chicken broth, depending on how thick you like your soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled bacon
- Sour Cream
- Slices of fresh avocado
- Add the mashed potatoes to a large soup pot.
- Add the avocado and chicken broth and mix well.
- Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbling.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: potato soup, leftover mashed potato recipe, creamy soup recipe, easy soup recipe, avocado soup, creamy potato soup, easy potato soup, homemade potato soup
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes then place in a large bowl.
- Using a potato ricer, rice the potatoes into the pot that you cooked them in along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir together, taste for seasonings and serve.