Makes 24 cookies
For the Cookies
- 6 cups flour
- 4 sticks butter at room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
For the Topping
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, toasted until lightly brown in a dry skillet
- 1 cup white sugar combined with 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Put the miser on low and add the flour in batches until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half, then starting with one half roll the dough out on a floured surface until the dough is about 1/4′ thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out the dough and place the shapes onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until the dough is gone then chill the trays in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush the tops of the cookies with egg wash.
- Coat the tops while the egg wash is still wet with the panko bread crumbs, lightly pushing them into the cookie.
- Generously sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the tops of the cookies and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.