This fried rice recipe uses all the flavors of your favorite chicken fajita recipe! You can swap out rotisserie chicken to get this chicken dinner on the table fast!
For the chicken (you can substitute rotisserie chicken)
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup diced red peppers
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- The juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 ripe avocado for garnish
- Season the chicken with cumin, chili powder salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to a wok or large skillet, then add the seasoned chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until chicken pieces are cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet, then add the peppers, onions and garlic.
- Cook until slightly charred over medium-high heat, 7-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the rice, the cooked diced chicken, tomato sauce, salsa, hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and the juice of the lime to the pan. Stir to combine then turn the heat down to low and let cook for 5 minutes until all the ingredients are warmed through.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Dish out into bowls and top with the lime zest and fresh avocado.
Additional toppings could include shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream and black beans.
If using a rotisserie chicken, shred the chicken and add the 1/4 cumin, 1/8 t. salt and 1/8 t. pepper, 1/4 t. chili powder and mix together.
Keywords: fried rice, fried rice recipe, chicken fried rice, easy chicken dinner, easy chicken recipe