This boozy, fresh cherry pie will be a hit for dessert any night!
- 6–7 cups fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons bourbon (can substitute fruit juice if you don’t want the alcohol)
- 1 store bought pie crust (2 rounds)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- extra sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot add the cherries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour.
- Stir and the mixture and bring back to a boil to thicken, then remove from the heat.
- After removing the pot from the heat, pour in the bourbon and stir to combine.
- Let the cherry filling cool slightly.
- Press one round of pie dough into a pie dish and then pour in the cherry filling, evening out the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, on a separate baking sheet cut star shapes (or any shape you want) out of the top round of dough and bake for 10 minutes. *See note if using a whole pie crust on top)
- When the pie comes out of the oven, add the star shapes to the top of the pie.
- Brush with cream then sprinkle the stars with sugar.
You can use the whole pie crust on top instead of cutting out shapes. When making the pie this way, add the top crust to the pie before baking and crimp together with the bottom crust.
Keywords: cherry pie recipe, pie recipe, cherry recipes, easy desserts, desert recipes, fruit pies