For the Filling
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 pieces of string cheese cut in half
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of water
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Start a large, deep pot of oil over medium heat. Use a frying thermometer until the temperature reaches 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile make the filling by adding the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the peppers and onions and cook for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Next add in the sausage, breaking up with a spoon as it browns until there is no pink left in the meat.
- Season the filling with the salt and garlic powder, then pour in the marinara sauce.
- Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Take and egg roll wrapper and place it on a work surface with the point side towards you so it’s shaped like a diamond (look at the process photo in the post for reference)
- Place 1/3 of a cup of the filling on the wrapper like shown in the photo with a half of a cheese stick on top. Try and place some of the meat filling on top of the cheese stick before rolling into shape.
- Fold the tip of the triangle over the filling, roll once and then fold both sides in towards the center of the egg roll, then roll over until the top triangle tip seals the egg roll.
- Use egg wash before rolling up to make sure the edge stays. Bruch the entire egg roll with egg wash and set aside on a plate while you make the rest of the egg rolls.
- Fry at 350 for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Depending on the size of your pot will depend on how many egg rolls you can fry at a time, being careful not to crowd the pot.
- Remove the egg rolls to a paper towel lined plate to drain while you fry the rest.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
Makes approximately 15 full size egg rolls