Spicy Sausage and Pumpkin Pizza is coming to kick up your take out pizza night!
Everyone loves pizza night. You’ve worked all week, eaten your salads and grilled chicken, and now it’s time for some pizza. Weather it’s meat pizza, all cheese or all the toppings, you’ve gotta have something to look forward to get you through the week.
But making pizza at home can be fun too, especially if you make a twist on a pizza recipe like with this Spicy Sausage and Pumpkin Pizza. Bringing in some Fall flavors to pizza night can be a very tasty idea…even for the little guys. Christie literally went to our son’s soccer practice and handed this pizza out to all the kids (and adults) so we’re talking 7 year olds here, and some confirmed very picky eaters. They all loved it.
So make sure to make a couple of these even if you think the kids won’t be into it – they might surprise you!
We started with a pre-made pizza crust but you could get fresh pizza dough from the store or even make your own. The important part of this recipe is what we’re putting on top of the pizza. Ricotta cheese mixed with pumpkin puree for the “sauce”. I guess this would be considered a “white” pizza since there’s no red sauce. Or I guess an “orange” pizza in this case.
Get the cheese spread all over the crust and then the sausage and pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin seeds? Yep – pumpkin seeds on the pizza. Don’t be stingy either, load them up. I’m telling you, you’re going to love it. Pile them on there with the spicy sausage…
Cover it all up with mozzarella and get it in the oven. Only about 12 minutes to total cheesy, pizza perfection and then you’re on your way to an epic pizza night.
This pizza would also work out great as an appetizer, just cut it into smaller pieces and you’re good to go! Or hand it our at your kids next soccer practice and see how many picky eaters you win over!
- 2 pizza shells, we used Boboli
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage, browned and drained of grease
- 1 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Preheat the oven according to the package directions, the Boboli crust cooks at 450 degrees.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, pumpkin puree, the salt, garlic powder and oregano in a bowl.
- Divide the mixture in half and spread equally on the two pizza shells.
- Divide the sausage, mozzarella cheese and pumpkin seeds and add them evenly to each pizza.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted on top.