Low Carb Cauliflower Rice Ham Risotto is a tasty way to use up ham after a holiday! This “mock” risotto is so good you’ll be making it all the time!
First of all, we all indulge too much over the holidays, right? Or most of us do anyway…I know there’s some of you out there that keep on track all the time, even over a holiday but not me.
Holidays are the time when I like to eat a second helping of sausage stuffing or have a few cookies after the big meal.
Then the next day you can get back on the right path by making a few healthier meals like this Low Carb Cauliflower Rice Ham Risotto.
Not that risotto sounds like a healthy meal but we’re trying to do a lot of low carb recipes and this one is perfect for that. It’s practically no carb with the exception of the peas, but for me risotto calls for peas. So I’ll take a few carbs for that.
You can make your own cauliflower rice for this recipe, I’m sure you all know how to do that by now but just in case, here a link to a recipe, or you can buy it in your produce section at the grocery store all done for you, or even in the frozen section.
We like to get out riced cauliflower at Trader Joe’s because for some reason it just tastes better than the others I’ve tried. Maybe it’s the texture or the way they process it…I don’t know but we’re all obsessed with it.
And it sure makes this Low Carb Cauliflower Rice Ham Risotto a whole lot easier. I love recipes like this that you can basically just throw everything into a pan and in 15 minutes you’ve got dinner. This is also a great way to use up whatever you’ve got gong on in the fridge – most vegetables will work in this recipe, even chicken or beef.
Also It’s a perfect leftover recipe for whatever you have leftover that needs to be cooked up.
Or you can leave out the meat and keep this a vegetarian dinner, just swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth and you’re set. This is a dinner that everyone can eat – even the kids. Ours loved it and I bet yours will too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups diced celery
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 5 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 cups diced ham
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the celery and onion and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Add the peas and carrots, the chicken broth and crushed garlic. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Next add the riced cauliflower to the skillet, stir and cover for another 5 minutes to soften the cauliflower rice.
- Now pour in the tomato sauce and cream, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the parmesan cheese, stir and serve with extra parmesan cheese for topping.